Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Wake up call

2 o'clock in the morning and I was awaken by the shout of "MOM".
I answer, "WHAT!?!" not even knowing who said it.
Nothing...

I fall back to sleep.

More frantic, shrill and blood curdling, "MOM!!!"
I am awake now! Who is killing my child!? I realize now that little brother is screaming. I also realize that I have just screamed "WHAT?!" at full volume. I also see 13 asleep on my floor, I don't know why and I just hope I don't step on him.
Now sobbing little brother at full scream, "LEG CRAMPS!!!"

As I have so many times before, I stumble over 13 into the kitchen for IBprophin and a plastic glass, lid and straw. I don't want him to spill even though he is 9. I give him the medicine and go back to bed.

"MOM," I need an ice pack for my leg!" I make trip two to the kitchen for the ice pack. I hand him the ice pack, he is still sobbing. I don't know what else to do! I ask, "Is there anything else I can do?" No answer. I walk to my room and shut my door. Curl around my pillow and stretch to relax.

"MOM," cried little brother, "I need an ice pack for my other leg!"

No comments: